2021 NAGD ANNUAL MEETING
“Oral Surgery for the General Dentist: Easier and More Predictable”
with Dr. Karl Koerner
Dr. Koerner is an Adjunct Professor in Oral Surgery at Roseman University of Health Sciences, College of Dental Medicine in Utah and the Co-founder of the Koerner Center for Surgical Extractions (KCSI). He has presented hundreds of didactic and participation oral surgery courses in the U.S. and around the world – speaking about twice a month at dental meetings both large and small.
Dr. Koerner is the author of many articles on various aspects of oral surgery for the general dentist and has authored or co-authored four books on oral surgery. In addition, he has made several surgery DVDs with Dr. Gordon Christensen. He is past president of the Utah Dental Association and Utah Academy of General Dentistry.
Though not an oral surgeon, Dr. Koerner received surgery training in the U.S. Army where he completed a general practice residency. He was given the National AGD’s Weclew award for his contributions to dentistry and dental education and the Utah Dental Association’s Distinguished Service Award. He conducts regular dental humanitarian projects in various parts of China.
“Oral Surgery: Faster, Easier, and More Predictable”
Friday, June 4, 2021
7:45 am to 5:15 pm
(8 hrs. of AGD Oral Surgery Lecture Credit)
Presenter: Dr. Karl Koerner
Many extractions look easy but can soon become difficult, time consuming, and lead to complications. This course reviews the best techniques and instruments to remove “surgical” extractions easily and quickly while conserving bone. From that primary emphasis, Dr. Koerner branches to other related surgery subjects that use many of the same instruments and principles.
- The most common suturing techniques and materials,
- avoiding sinus problems,
- predictable socket grafting techniques (without company hype),
- ridge preparation for immediate dentures,
- bleeding management during surgery,
- a review of moderate third molar impaction essentials (anatomy and step-by-step guidelines).
Course objectives: As a result of attending this course, the dentist will be able to:
- More easily do “surgical” or difficult extractions that frequently occur in general practice.
- Be more proficient at ridge preparation for immediate dentures.
- Select appropriate socket grafting cases and have the knowledge to do them successfully.
- Prevent and/or manage bleeding problems that can occur during oral surgery.
- Better understand patient selection and risks of third molar surgery.
- Perform oral surgery according to current standards of care.
HANDS ON TRAINING
Saturday, June 5, 2021 | 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
This workshop builds on the Friday lecture. It applies the surgical principles covered already – to use on life-like dentoform models.
The following procedures will be done on the models:
- full-thickness mucoperiosteal flaps (envelope and triangular),
- suturing (interrupted/surgeon’s knot, crosssuture, continuous-lock),
- surgical extractions (multiple root-top removals with several different methods),
- Socket grafting (bone graft and barrier membrane),
- Moderate third molar impaction (mesioangular),
- Excisional biopsy,
- Incision and drainage,
- I & D in general practice, discussion of antibiotic usage,
- Incisional/excisional biopsies,
- Other discussion as time permits.
In addition to the course objective on Friday, the dentist will also be able to:
- Control patient anxiety related to oral surgery.
- Correctly perform I & D’s on the lessinvasive abscesses.
- Do easier third molar impactions.
- Perform oral surgery according to the current standards of care.
- More easily and quickly do “surgical” or difficult extractions that frequently occur in general practice.
- Be more proficient at ridge preparation for dentures following multiple extractions.
- Prevent and/or manage complications that can occur during oral surgery such as bleeding, sinus problems, and tuberosity fractures etc.
- Perform predictable socket bone grafting.
Sunday, June 6, 2021 | 8:00 am to 1:00 pm
We will have an additional speaker for a Sunday morning lecture that is TBA.
Friday, June 4, 2021
Lecture course will be held at The Cornhusker Marriott 333 S. 13th Street, Lincoln, NE 68508, 402.474.7474
7:15 a.m.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Registration
7:45 a.m.. . . . . . . . . . . . . Course Begins
11:45 – 1:15 p.m.. . . . . . . Extended Lunch Hour (A chance to visit the exhibits)
1:15 p.m.. . . . . . . . . . . . . Course resumes
4:00 p.m. . . . . . . . . . . . . Exhibits close
5:15 p.m.. . . . . . . . . . . . . Course adjourns
** Coffee breaks and lunch will be provided in the exhibit area
Held at The Cornhusker Marriott Hotel 333 S. 13th Street, Lincoln, NE 68508
Saturday, June 5, 2021 – 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Limited Space Available
Lecture with additional speaker TBA
Sunday, June 6, 2021 – 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
[contact-form-7 id=”7315″ title=”Annual Meeting Registration Form_2021″]
Please Mail Your Payment to: NAGD, 2244 Stockwell Street Lincoln, NE 68502 (made payable to the NAGD).
For Credit Card Payment: Call the NAGD Office at 402.438.2321 to pay by Credit Card.
Your registration can not be processed until payment is received. An email confirmation will be sent once we receive payment and registration is processed.
PLEASE NOTE: A $40 processing fee will be applied to all persons requesting a refund (lecture only) or $100 processing fee will be applied to all persons requesting a refund (3 days). No refunds be issued after May 11, 2021.
Questions? Contact the NAGD Office at 402.438.2321 or email email@example.com
|(Register by March 1st and receive a $50 member only discount: $399)|
|Non-AGD Dentists: Lecture Only||$799|
|AGD Dentists: 3 days (Lecture & hands on||$2,199|
|(Register by March 1st and receive a $200 member only discount: $1,999)||Includes materials, meals and books. Lodging not included.|
|Non-AGD Dentist: 3 days (Lecture & hands on)||$2,799|
|(Includes materials, meals and books. Lodging not included.)|
|Staff Member/Assistants/Hygienists: Lecture Only||$100|
|Lab Techs: Lecture Only||$125|
|Total Amount Paid|
If you attend the entire 3-day weekend, you will receive 24 hrs. AGD Oral Surgery Participation Credit. 24 additional hours of participation credit may be earned by presenting a clinical homework assignment after the course and presenting in October of 2021. There is an additional fee.
Don’t forget to take advantage of HUGE member only discounts if you register by March 1st!
REGISTER BY MAY 14TH TO AVOID $50 LATE FEE!
A block of sleeping rooms have been reserved at the Cornhusker Marriott for $109 until May 13, 2021. Ask for the Nebraska AGD rate. To make reservations, call 402.474.7474.
The AGD-Nebraska is designated as an Approved PACE Program Provider by the Academy of General Dentistry. The formal continuing education programs of this program provider are accepted by the AGD for Fellowship/Mastership and membership maintenance credit. Approval does not imply acceptance by a state or provincial board of dentistry or AGD endorsement. The current term of approval extends from 1/1/2018 to 12/31/2021. Provider ID# 219313